John Portman, architect, developer and master of the mega-atria, dies at 93


Architect John Portman, often credited as the father of the massive hotel atrium, has passed away in his hometown of Atlanta, Georgia. No cause of death has been announced. 

A little over a year ago David Cole this love letter, in the form of an Archinect forum thread, "You never forget your first love: An ode to John Portman"

My youth was pretty sheltered, architecturally speaking. While I had an interest in architecture at an early age, I was never really exposed to the big names like Kahn and Corbu until I began my undergrad degree in Chicago.

My first love? The architecture of John Portman, back when I was in high school in northern Florida and Atlanta was the center of the universe. The first monograph I ever bought was his, and his Marriott Marquis in Atlanta was the first bit of Architecture with a capital "A" that I ever went out of my way to visit -- even though it meant sneaking away from my church youth group during a visit to Atlanta, while they were having lunch at the ...

Paul Petrunia via Archinect - News http://ift.tt/2CvOdSY

Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

2017 CMYK Color Swatch Calendar

Geo-Matrix Towers Span Across Oceans To Connect The Planet

Powerful Black Minimalist Tattoos