Norman Foster on his unlikely start in architecture


“How do you get into a school of architecture?,” I asked. “You need a portfolio of drawings,” I was told. So I started to create drawings and paintings – the architectural ones were copies of perspectives that I took from the plan chests after everyone left the office, and which I returned before they arrived in the morning. Other works, in gouache, were inspired by one of my hero artists, LS Lowry.



For The Guardian's Observer Design magazine, Norman Foster, now 85, recounts the early beginnings of his design career more than six decades ago: from leaving school at 16 through finding his first architecture employment at Manchester firm John E. Beardshaw and Partners to overcoming obstacles to get into architecture school.

"Because I had had left school at 16, I did not have A-levels and therefore could not qualify for a degree course," Foster writes. "However, the university came up with a solution."

Alexander Walter via Archinect - News https://bit.ly/3el3TdT

Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

2017 CMYK Color Swatch Calendar

Geo-Matrix Towers Span Across Oceans To Connect The Planet

Wood Urbanism